Saturday, February 16, 2013

Aria by Richard Rodriguez






Aria by Richard Rodriguez
                                                                                        
Quotes:

1.)    “Without question, it would have pleased me to hear my teachers address me in Spanish when I entered the classroom. I would have felt much less afraid. I would have trusted and responded with ease. But I would have delayed—for how long postponed? – having to learn the language of the public society…learning the great lesson of of school, that I had a public identity. Fortunately, my teachers were unsentimental about their responsibility. What they understood was that I needed to speak a public language.”

-Immediately after reading this quote, I thought of Delpit and scribbled “rules & codes” in the margin of the essay. This child's identity is Spanish and that is where he established his identity. However, he had an awareness that he had to learn the public language of society. I read “learning the great lesson of school, that I had a public identity,” as a mildly sarcastic comment that brings attention to teachers in power enforcing a public identity that will lend a child a tool to success in out society. In just the next paragraph Rodriguez says, on the subject of the English language; “and the point was not self-expression alone but to make one-self understood by many others.” So to succeed in “the white man’s world” you need to know the language that is understood by the majority of others. Just as Delpit suggests in her essay, giving a child the tools to do so.

2.)    “Listening to persons who sounded eccentrically pitched voices, I usually noted their sounds for an initial few seconds before I concentrated on what they were saying…Hearing someone’s tone of voice—angry or questioning or sarcastic or happy or sad—I didn't distinguish it from the words it expressed. Sound and word were thus tightly wedded…I was often bemused, always relieved, to realize how ‘silent,’ though crowded with words my day in public had been. This public silence measured and quickened the change in my life.”

-Rodriguez explains his journey from Spanish to English and throughout he emphasizes not only the language and the English words themselves, but the phonics of those words; the tone, the stressed syllables and the emotions behind the words.  These things seemed to be the best part of his Spanish speaking home, he knew just by the tone and sound of words what they were, with English however, it seemed to be entwined together and wasn't as easy for him to feel comfortable with using English in his home.  Here is where he introduces the idea of “silence” which affected both his public identity (as seen in quote above) but also in his private identity, when his father “retired to silence.”

3.)    “They do not seem to realize that there are two ways a person is individualized. So they do not realize that while one suffers a diminished sense of private individuality by becoming assimilated into public society, such assimilation makes possible the achievement of public individuality.”


-To help me work through this final statement,which is a significant one, I drew out little pictures to get a visual.  If I understand this correctly: Unlike Delpit, Rodriguez ‘ theory is that a child can only achieve one identity because the other suffers or is diminished, whereas Delpit says there is room for both.



Question: After reading this, my question for everyone would be, which theory do you support and how can we apply bilingual acceptance into a classroom to support non-English speakers but also teach and provide them the “public identity.” Like, what would be an effective way in doing so? (In the article linked to classroom an ESL teacher gives her experiences in teaching a bilingual classroom, notice paragraph 3.) 

Thanks for Reading! Have a Good Day, 
Nicole (:

6 comments:

  1. Your picture interpretation is great! I support Rodriguez's theory because people do have more than 1 identity. One may be stronger than the other, yet the other identity still exists. For example, a person lives in New England, yet they were born in the south. His southern accent still exists, though he mostly uses Northern traditions, such as the food and house style.
    To apply bilingual acceptance into a classroom, the teacher could incorporate multi-cultural games. For example, each child could bring in items they mostly use at home. That way each child sees the similarities between each other. For example, two children will bring in ornaments from a Christmas tree and will realize they both celebrate Christmas. However, there will be differences. A non-English speaking child may bring in a common food they eat, which is significantly uncommon to the other children. Once the children see the differences, they will want to learn how to cook the other way. At the same time, they learn about the culture, while the non-English speaking student learns how to identify with the other students.
    The children will learn that there are a variety of ways to do things, such as cooking, decorating for a holiday or playing a game. By having the children see how each other live at home, they learn each others identities and realize there are similarities between cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley, I hadn't even thought of culture as far as food and family traditions. You bring up many good points and I also think there is an effective way to incorporate all different identity's. Although, ultimately, one identity has to suffer, I guess. Thanks again! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Ashley! I love the way you tried to explain things by drawing it out. I also loved all of your quotes! I noticed that one of our quotes were the same and after reading what you thought of the quote, I thought it was interesting how we both thought back to Delpit and how we need to use tools to help our children understand. All your quotes were explained very accurately and from reading your explanations, I picked up on things that I didn't notice before when I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Alyssa! Yes, we shared similar quotes. I also liked how you explained yours! I totally agree with using the tools that will help all children understand. Thanks again :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your drawings also I loved the sheet music photo. Music was the first thing I thought of when I read the title. I am such a visual learner so I love when people add lots of visual aids!!! :-) Your are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Crissy! I was debating on whether or not to post my horrible drawing but it helps me understand and I figured why not! But thank you so much! -All I could think of was Mozart's Aria too when I read the title! But thank you so much. :]

    ReplyDelete